Sunday, March 23, 2008

Best Mo Mos

My new Tibetan friend Kelsang helped me find an ISD (international phone call) place outside of the Tibetan Colony (since all the Tibetan stores are closed) so that I could call the UK and talk to British Airways about changing my flight. I discovered that the change will be very expensive, about $520 if I make the change by phone and $422 if I book it online. Ouch. The "streets" in this area are amazing when compared to the USA. More alleys than streets. Several narrow places are only wide enough for one person to pass. There are gaping holes leading into sewers everywhere on sidewalks and edge of the streets, with no warning signs or barriers. With lots of ferrel dogs and a few cows and goats wandering around everywhere, there is shit all over the place. Needless to say, one needs to watch one's step.

Kelsang also found be a barber shop where I got a haircut for RS.20 (about 50 cents USD). They give quite a good head massage included in the fee and if you tip 10 more rupees, they'll give you a good back massage too.

Afterward he took me back to his home, the Lungta House, and ordered me some lamb mo mos. They were probably the best mo mos I've had in a long time, maybe ever. While we were waiting for the food, I was leafing through Tarthang Tulku's 2007 Monlam publication. This edition had a detailed explanation of Tarthang's editing, printing and distribution processes outlined and illustrated on several pages near the back. I was really rejoicing at how organized he is and how he does so many good things to preserve and perpetuate important Buddhist texts. Inside were many photos of Bohd Gaya and Vulture's Peak, two places I had just visited for the first time, so I felt more of a connection to the Monlam and made an aspiration to attend in the future.

I was also rejoicing that Kunchok helped arrange for Kelsang to guide us and help out while we are in Delhi. Kelsang's parents are both from Tibet, but I gathered he was born in India. Kunchok will probably be here tomorrow, but we'll miss him since we need to get up at 3 AM to get to the airport by 5 AM. Good night for now.

No comments: