Monday, March 31, 2008

London Calling

I'm in London in the brand-new Terminal 5 at Heathrow. It's a very modern design and all the surfaces are shiny and clean. British Airways opened this terminal four days ago with much fanfare and many glitches that have resulted in thousands of lost bags and numerous canceled flights, including my flight to LAX. I think BA is doing their best to iron out the problems, but I had one challenging experience with the last security point as one enters the secure part of the terminal.

There is a type of new system for running one's carry-on bags and shoes through x-ray machines. You can tell that whoever designed the system really tried to make it run smoother and require less labor than the systems we're familiar with where the security people manually carry the trays back to the beginning point. I can't imagine that the manufacturer of the new device actually field-tested the system with real airline customers. The conveyer system was totally befuddling every effort by the BA staff to inform the customers how to use it and the customers were even more confused. After I went through, it looked like my bags were going to get sucked into the automated tray return system, and I bumped into a lady who got between two of my trays that were racing by me. I almost spilled all her things on the floor. It was very awkward. I resorted to dumping all my things on the floor so that I could pull them together and get out of the way of everyone and so that I could get my shoes back on. Everyone, including the staff was getting tripped up by the automated tray conveyor. These are the sorts of worldly experiences that really test one's equinimity after being on a retreat and pilgrimage. I can't say I passed the test very well!

Of course the whole pilgrimage was filled with many many experiences like this, and overall I did pretty well and tried to treat everyone I encountered on my journey with as much compassion and kindness as I could generate. Really everyday life is always presenting us with these kinds of tests, opportunities to practice in every moment. It is so benefical to oneself and others to always keep Dharma in mind.

I'll be back in the States at LAX by mid-afternoon on March 31. Eddie said he'd pick me up at the airport and I hope to stay in LA for a couple days to sort things out and maybe get together with some of the LA Sangha to share some of my experiences. Hope to see some of you, perhaps on the evening of Wednesday, April 2. Julian and/or I will send out emails about any plans that arise.

I'm hoping to get back the the SF Bay area by Friday, April 4. I think I'll be able to attend Sunday practice on Sunday, April 6.

No comments: